Sunday, November 7, 2010

Exhibit

One of my goals for this year was to have some photographs on display, in public. This seemed like such an overwhelming achievement that I didn't even really think about how I was going to do it. Well...the violinist in my trio, Jeanette, is the curator of a small gallery in Bellingham, the Center for Expressive Arts. She changes the art there monthly, and so, simply by asking, I have two photographs on display there during the month of November. I had them printed by American Frame and found frames with matting at Goodwill, so the total cost for each photo was about $12.00. We went up on Friday night for the 'opening' (such as it was, it was part of the downtown Art Walk so a few people did stop by but it wasn't really a huge event). And I saw people I didn't know looking at my little photographs, and pointing them out to their friends. What a splendid and bizarre feeling that is! I remember being at arts camp in junior high as an orchestra student, and telling one of the art students that it must be so nice to have the work done and hanging on the wall at the end instead of having to play in a concert and hoping there were no disasters. She said that she always wanted to change something when she saw her art hanging there, so it really wasn't completely stress-free. Now I know what she meant...

No comments:

Post a Comment